Sunday, May 3, 2009

The music post

Last night I was taken by my brothers to see the Shins live in Red Square up at WWU. In typical Bellingham style, we were poured upon. The wind kicked up and the rain came down in buckets. So Marc, Seth, and I stood on the edge of the fountain and watched Delta Spirit tear through their set, apologizing after mistaking Bellingham for Seattle, and proving that live shows are always better than albums... even great albums. The Shins came on when the rain really was coming down and the keyboard player at one point remarked that he was standing in a "pool of wadder." Even so, it was a brilliant concert and one I'll remember for a long time. Not only did they ruin a keyboard, but the ASB Pop staff had to hold up the soundboard tent, and I was soaked through my coat, sweatshirt, and shirt. But I was with two of my best pals and it was fabulous music. I hope they come out with a new album this year; their new stuff sounds awesome.


I bought the new Neko Case album, Middle Cyclone, this last week courtesy of income tax return and birthday money and it is also very impressive. All of the press it's gotten is middling, because "her" songs seem basic and she crowds the album with covers. Bah! I say. I loved Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, and this one is seemingly more radio friendly, but she has a way with words and phrasing and imagery and sound. One of my favorite lyrics come from the ominously titled song "Prison Girls": "I love your long shadows and your gunpowder eyes." Intense.





I've also been enjoying an AIDS benefit album called Dark Was the Night. It's jam packed with bands I love and though I've reviewed/enjoyed/hated comp albums before this one takes the cake. Iron and Wine, The National, Grizzly Bear, The Dirty Projectors, Antony Hegarty, Sufjan Stevens, Ben Gibbard and Feist. The thing about it is that there are no real filler tracks. It doesn't seem as though the organizers contacted any of these bands thinking that a "hip" comp album has to have a Death Cab for Cutie track, etc. Some of the songs are covers, some duets, and some originals. It's an amazing collection of artists playing their best all for a great cause.


Back in the beginning of April I got the hankering to divulge some of my musical finds over the past three months with my brothers. They are huge music fans and I love turning people on to good music. I do an annual "best of" album, but this year decided to give them a quarterly "good music" album. And so I show it off to you. For the sake of a shorter post, as this is already out of hand, I won't do any "sounds like" stuff. You'll have to take my word for it and either like it or not. Enjoy.

In Alphabetical Order:




Andrew Bird - "Fitz and Dizzyspells" - from Noble Beast




Animal Collective - "My Girls" - from Merriweather Post Pavilion






Bon Iver - "Blood Bank" - from Blood Bank EP






Antony and the Johnsons - "Aeon" - from The Crying Light







Dananananackroyd - "Pink Sabbath" - from Hey Everyone






Nat King Cole - "Day In, Day Out (Cut Chemist Remix)" - from Re:Generations




Harlem Shakes - "Strictly Game" - from Technicolor Health







K'naan - "ABCs (feat. Chubb Rock)" - from Troubadour







M. Ward - "One Hundred Million Years" - from Hold Time








Micachu and the Shapes - "Golden Phone" - from Jewellery





Mumford and Sons - "Little Lion Man" - from Demos






Neko Case - "People Got a Lotta Nerve" - from Middle Cyclone








Passion Pit - "Sleepyhead" - from Manners






Vijay Kishore - "Never Ends" - from Done it Again EP

7 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about Neko Case, so I'll have to check her out. We'll also have to check out the AIDS album, as we like many of those artists. We went to the Death Cab concert on the 22nd and sat five rows from the front--it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake, have you been inside my brain or do you just listen to All Songs Considered too?

    My best of, so far, also includes: Vijay Kishore, Passion Pit, Dananananaykroyd, Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, and Bon Iver.

    You're missing my two favorite albums so far though! Dan Deacon and Antlers.

    The Neko Case album is really strong but I can never seem to really get into her music. My favorite track is the crickets :)

    Can you tell me about Harlem Shakes and Mumford and Sons? I'm not acquainted.

    Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dig Dan Deacon, but that might end up on the 2nd quarter of 09... we'll see. Harlem Shakes is kind of a spastic Shins or something like it and Mumford and Sons are folksy and laid back... most of the time. An easy way to check 'em out is to go to www.hypem.com, a blog aggregator for free posted mp3s. it's nice to get some of the singles and other released tracks from online sources before buying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hypem is my fave. Lala.com is a nice new tool too.

    Have you heard the Antlers album? It's a really poetic, cathartic processing of losing a terminally ill loved one. Sounds like a downer but it's really really good. Especially as a whole album.

    ReplyDelete
  5. downers are usually uppers for my ears. i.e. Beck's Sea Change. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmmm Sea Change.... :)

    oh yeah and you can hear the entire Antlers album here:

    http://theantlers.bandcamp.com/album/hospice

    which is really great 'cause it really ought to be heard as a whole, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really needs to be a mixtape!

    ReplyDelete