Friday, May 22, 2009

A Word Hunt


A while back I started putting together a list of words that I loved. Sometimes based on their meaning (i.e. redemption), sometimes simply because they sound smooth/pretty/relaxing (i.e. cellar - rumored to be the prettiest word in the English language... ref.? anyone?)... something like that. My list ballooned to hold words like autumn and a homophonic permutation having nothing to do with the former except perhaps trees: ottoman. Others? Breeze, latte, wheat (think the Paloose), busking, ascetic, and it may sound cheesy or lovey-dovey, but I love the sound of my wife's name: Talia. Not Taa-leah, but Tuh-leah. Beautiful.

I started thinking about my fascination with beautiful words again the other day when I was listening to the new B-Sides/"Lost Songs"/Covers album by Iron and Wine called Around the Well. I kind of sort of have come to this conclusion that many of my favorite words have come from Sam Beam's pronunciation of them. This is a new category since I myself am not pronouncing them. When a word like "belated" enters my brain I think about shirked responsibility and apologies, however, when Mr. Beam croons "belated" in on of his songs (the unreleased B-Side "Belated Promise Ring") it becomes a musical word, losing all of its guilty edge. So I did some research into some of the words I like and which come from Iron and Wine songs. This isn't a comprehensive list, but it's close.

Sam Beam of Iron and Wine


Thornbush
Seaside
Body
Pantry
Wooden
Carousel
Communion
Barnyard
Tomorrow
Magazine
Freedom
Automobile
Bothered
Reins
Tuckered
Yarrow
Fallen
Brother
Dogwood
Bougainvillea
Unimaginative
Copse
Baling
Resurrection
Edith
Rebecca
Bucket
Midnight
Thoughts? Additions? Deletions?

No comments:

Post a Comment