Thursday, May 14, 2009

Songs for Summer


So the other day... when it was nice like tonight was and not like this morning when I was riding my bike to work... I was thinking about music as I often do and was humming "French Navy" by Camera Obscura (check them out). It was sunny and all of a sudden I had a brilliant idea. I already have a playlist on my i-pod for Fall, but not one for Summer. So, over the next couple of days I compiled 40 tracks from what I have on my i-pod based on their feel, sometimes the lyrics, and the melody. I think each one of these reminds me of summer. I chose to limit each band to one track otherwise I'd be playing out Josh Ritter, Wilco and The Shins all day. I also, with great intent, thought to organize them by when during a great summer day I would like to hear them. This got tiresome and I gave up. So here is my list of 40 great summer tracks. Let me know what tracks I missed and what I should add to my playlist!



  • Marry Song -Band Of Horses -Cease To Begin

  • A Minor Incident -Badly Drawn Boy- The Official Bootleg Live @ Glastonbury

  • Make It Up -Ben Kweller- Sha Sha

  • Lua -Bright Eyes -I'm Wide Awake It's Morning

  • Table for Two- Caedmon's Call- 40 Acres

  • Mexico -Cake- Prolonging The Magic

  • Qué Onda Guero -Beck -Guero

  • House Of Valparaiso- Calexico -Carried To Dust

  • Prison On Route 41 -Calexico / Iron & Wine- In The Reins

  • Two Sitting Ducks -Danielson -Ships

  • Babylon -David Gray -Kink Live Four

  • Trashcan -Delta Spirit -Ode to Sunshine

  • Golly Sandra -Eisley -Room Noises

  • Brandy Alexander -Feist- The Reminder

  • Remain -Five O'Clock People- The Nothing Venture

  • Muddy Hymnal -Iron & Wine- The Creek Drank The Cradle

  • It's All Understood -Jack Johnson- Brushfire Fairytales

  • Get What You Need -JET -Get Born

  • In The Dark -Josh Ritter- The Animal Years

  • Saltbreakers -Laura Veirs- Saltbreakers

  • Magic Trick -M. Ward -Post-War

  • Lullaby Haze- Mates Of State- Re-Arrange Us

  • Inside of Love -Nada Surf- Let Go

  • Middle Cyclone -Neko Case -Middle Cyclone

  • Ode To A Butterfly -Nickel Creek- Nickel Creek

  • 5 Years Time -Noah And The Whale -I Can't Believe

  • Feelin' The Same Way -Norah Jones -Come Away With Me

  • A Few Words In Defense Of Our Country- Randy Newman -Harps And Angels

  • My Winding Wheel -Ryan Adams -Heartbreaker

  • Oleander -Sarah Harmer- I'm A Mountain

  • You Really Gotta Hold On Me -She & Him- Volume One

  • Girl Inform Me -The Shins- Oh, Inverted World

  • Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur- Sigur Rós- Með Suð Í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust

  • The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)- Simon & Garfunkel -Simon & Garfunkel Greatest Hits

  • You Got Yr. Cherry Bomb -Spoon -Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

  • Writing To Reach You -Travis- The Man Who

  • Not the Same -Ben Folds -Ben Folds Live

  • M79 -Vampire Weekend -Vampire Weekend

  • She's A Jar Wilco Summerteeth

  • Half Ell Belle Yellow Second June One

4 comments:

  1. Jason Mraz - I'm yours
    And the 50 First Dates Soundtrack - TOTALLY summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whats up JAAAKE

    you probably already heard this but if not, you gotta listen to Choir of Young Believers - Action/Reaction

    http://www.myspace.com/choirofyoungbelievers

    ReplyDelete
  3. good stuff there... hadn't heard of them before. oh... Jeff who?

    ReplyDelete