Sunday, October 4, 2009

What's Good the Last Three Months?



Here's what I came up with for the last three months worth of music. It's all good in its own way, but some are more worthwhile all the way through than the others. Sometimes my love of music will force me into foolish first assumptions, therefore the inclusion of the now banal track "Roll on Babe" by Vetiver. I heard it and thought it catchy. Now it sounds like everything else out there. Also the inclusion of the cryptic or silly "Robots" by Dan Mangan. He's getting a lot of good press in Canada and the tune is a catchy one, but it seems a little hollow to me for no good reason. However, there is the odd inclusion of something that should be in a category all its own. Dirty Projectors or Bibio or even perhaps The Low Anthem could fit into a slot simply made for "feely" music. Sure Mastodon can come out and yell with the best of them, sometimes anger just doesn't come through fully. The intensity palpable from the Dirty Projectors, or the honest and mindless relaxation heard from Bibio, or the introspective mourning from The Low Anthem.... this is what music is made for. Enjoy. Again... all tracks were found on Hype Machine.






  1. Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue

  2. Dan Mangan - Robots

  3. Dirty Projectors - Cannibal Resource

  4. Fleet Foxes - Blue Spotted Tail (live on BBC)

  5. Laura Gibson - Spirited

  6. Leif Vollebekk - Michael Robartes and the Dancer

  7. Lisa Hannigan - Lille

  8. Mastodon - Divinations

  9. Megafaun - Kaufman's Ballad

  10. Modest Mouse - Guilty Cocker Spaniels

  11. Mos Def - Workers Comp.

  12. Ramona Falls - Russia

  13. The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You (though I like "Kickdrum Heart" better)

  14. Dead Weather - I Cut Like a Buffalo

  15. The Low Anthem - Charlie Darwin

  16. The Phenomenal Handclap Band - 15 to 20

  17. Thom Yorke - All for the Best

  18. Vetiver - Roll on Babe

  19. Wye Oak - Take It In

  20. Yacht - Summer Song

  21. Zee Avi - Bitter Heart

  22. Elvis Perkins - I Heard Your Voice in Dresden

  23. Wilco - Deeper Down

Did I miss any? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment